Rugged luggage sets are one trademark of a well-rounded, organized gentleman. If you’ve ever been the type of guy to throw everything together in a single suitcase and just be done with it, (which we’ve all regretted later), you can truly appreciate the value of a great luggage set. Being organized on trips, whether for business or pleasure, helps take one aggravation out of travelling. These are the top ten sets to keep you in style, and help keep you organized.
The Best Luggage Sets in 2019
Samsonite crafts some of the best items in the world, and luggage is no exception. This polycarbonate set of luggage has bold style, while giving you ultimate protection from the element (and your kids). Winfield 2 comes with an ingrained TSA-approved lock to keep your valuables away from prying eyes as well.
This three-piece set comes with a zipper closure, while the front and back shells provide complete scuff, scrape, and (mostly) dent damage while you’re wheeling it through a crowd of people. With a cloth interior lining, you get a little bit of wiggle room (up to 1.5” on the larger luggage bag in this kit) to store additional items.
Polycarbonate exterior for maximum durability
Smart style with optimal interior function and organization
Unidirectional wheels and aluminum handle for mobility
- Weight30.1 pounds
Compact design meets uniform, bright, and excellent style. From your watch down to your shoes, everything has to hold onto your style, compliment you, and be an extension of you personal tastes and preferences. It sounds like a lot of responsibility to put on your luggage, but it’s true, and Coolife brings us an excellent design.
Available in six different color palettes (without touching a single penny on the price, regardless of your style selection), and functional in every way, Coolife’s ergonomic aluminum handle, carry-on ready size, and quadruple, universal wheels will have you wondering where this has been all your life. You get a two-year full warranty with no limitations, and excellent, sturdy nylon lining to keep your clothing and valuables safe from harm.
Excellent price for a three-piece set
Ultra durable to protect valuables and personal items
Two-year warranty with no limitations
- Weight29.7 pounds
This smart selection is bound to compliment your style in any of their 15+ color options. Rockland builds a durable, expandable set with unidirectional wheels, compact storage, and pericscope handles crafted of the best aluminum. Their Two-Piece Luggage Set‘s exterior is made of 100% ABS plastic, which provides protection up to 221 degrees Fahrenheit, while boasting a lightweight build.
Interior pockets of mesh and elastics are perfect for storing smaller, delicate items such as your phone or phone charger, while keeping them close to the lining. The last thing you want is for your items to knock around while you’re in transit. Compact, hidden zippers keep your luggage looking excellent. This kit is perfect for the “Weekender” (see buying guide below) as well as the travelling businessman who’s packing light, and comes with Rockland’s five year warranty. This is a perfect gift for travelers in your life.
Excellent for the lightweight, single traveller
High durability withstands heats of 200F and expands for optimal storage
Unidirectional wheels operate quietly and smoothly
- Weight18.56 pounds
Three pieces, five styles, all rugged as can be. TravelPro puts their namesake to the test by designing some of the best travel-ready luggage you can imagine (which also work for high-capacity bug out bags, by the way). Made of 100% polyester for an easy clean, this expandable set comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Carry by the side in a hurry, or pop open the aluminum periscope handles to unleash the power of your unidirectional wheels – the choice is yours. TravelPro Maxlite 4 is perfect for the traveller who needs ample storage, with a few additional pockets on the inside for organization. Fabric lining cradles your clothing and protects your valuables, such as your shower speaker or beard trimmer. Wrap it all up in a secured zipper closure, and voila – you’ve just met your next luggage set. Find more great products like this by checking out our guide to the best luggage scales.
Multiple points of access and handles for mobility
Organizational pockets with sturdy zipper closure
Expandable for those last-minute items or takeaways from your trip
- Weight27.9 pounds
We can’t help but put these exceptional Samsonite items on the list – they’re the trifecta of durability, style, and attractive pricing all wrapped-up into one. Nylon interior lining safely transports your clothing and electronics, while the expandable properties allow you to overstuff your suitcase if you need to.
With Samsonite Ultralite Extreme 2-Piece Luggage Set you get excellent features such as a push button to unleash your aluminum handles, comfortable grips, and unidirectional wheels for maximum mobility. If you always find movement to be an issue when you’re parading through the airport terminal, you’ll be gliding nice and easy with Samsonite’s luggage set.
SamGuard protects your valuables from water damage
Comfortable grips on your push button aluminum handles
Blend of style and price while providing superior function
- Weight19.2 pounds
WIth over seven different options to choose from for style and color palette, as well as an ingrained TSA-approved lock, you get function and flair all in the same package. Merax Travelight set comes complete with a hard shell casing for maximum durability, and a set of unidirectional wheels with quiet operation. Nobody wants to hear the sound of your suitcase travelling down the walkway of an airport terminal – make it silent.
This unit comes with a TSA-approved security lock to keep your valuables safe, while staying within the parameters of the United States flying guidelines. Your three-step periscope handle won’t slide open unannounced (we’ve all had that happen once or twice), which compliments the lightweight ABS plastic and PC exterior.
TSA-approved exterior lock for security from thieves
SIlent operation of unidirectional wheels
Hard shell for durability; dropping it down the escalator won’t be an issue
- Weight25 pounds
Can you tell how much we love Samsonite? We can’t help it – Nested Set is the most affordable five-piece set you’ll ever find from a leading brand name in luggage. We’ve all tried out the Wal Mart brand luggage kits, and they never hold up – Samsonite brand, superior quality, all on a department store price.
The bottom grip means you can lift these with ease, while the nested bags fit inside one another (see buying guide below). Push button locks ensure your aluminum handles aren’t going to slide out unannounced, which is invaluable for those of us who travel with three or more luggage pieces on a constant basis.
Nested components for storage and additional carry-home items
Unrivaled quality of Samsonite at a low cost
Durable with zipper closures
- Weight25.4 pounds
Amazon pays attention to the items that sell, and their renditions of budget-friendly products that users love are always a big hit. If you’re a big fan of the way Amazon mimics popular items, you’re going to fall in love with this high-quality three-piece set.
In all black, AmazonBasics hardside spinner luggage offers unidirectional wheels with a pop-up aluminum handle for easy storage, and optimal mobility. Three-piece sizes come in at 20”, 24” and 28” respectively, each perfect for their own designated uses. Fully lined and set with an interior divider for storage, this expandable set can extend to 15% of the maximum fill space, while still retaining structural integrity in the hardside material.
Expandable up to 15% of maximum size
Hardside material keeps up against spills, stains, and damage
Perfect three-piece size with excellent mobility
- Weight33.7 pounds
Mimicking certain features you find in the AmazonBasics version above, LEMOONE offers five unique, vibrant colors to choose from. ABS exterior material keeps your luggage lightweight when empty, and your items safe and secure, even when filled to the brim. SIlent-moving 360 swivel wheels allow you to move quickly and silently; avoiding the aggravating sound of the wheels on terminal floors is a must.
Apart from the durable and revolutionary exterior, you get elastic straps crossing within the interior of your luggage to tie down your clothing, secure smaller items or smaller bags, and secure items on the return flight. LEMOONE Three-Piece Spinner luggage can be nested when not in use, and comes with a two-year warranty backed by the manufacturer.
Two-year warranty that’s backed by the manufacturer
Durable and sturdy ABS exterior
SIlent unidirectional wheels for mobility
- Weight24.1 pounds
Last but not least on our list comes the budgeter dream, and the high quality you need when you’re out and about. Available in blue or black, Brookfield 3-Piece Set includes 100% polyester exterior components, pop-up periscope handles made of aluminum, and soft fabric lining to keep your items from damage should they move around a little.
On top of that, you get a few exterior access pockets for items you need in a hurry, such as a passport or an RFID wallet. ZIpper closures and unidirectional swivel wheels (on the larger luggage bags) give you peace of mind and mobility, while the style and easy carry-on (smaller luggage bag) capabilities keep you in the perfect balance of function and flair.
External pockets for quick-grab items
Budgeters dream: excellent cost without sacrificing quality
Nested components for carry-on bags or bringing home additional items from your trip
- BrandAmerican Tourister
- Weight21.6 pounds
Luggage Set Buying Guide
What really goes into a great luggage set? It’s different for every man. If you’re not packing a crazy amount of items, you can do with smaller luggage sets. However, we’ll bet that you’re travelling for business, and with that, you need the proper luggage. You can’t jam everything into one bag and hope for the best - you have watches, suits, dopp kits and more - you can’t squish them in, throw them around and hope for the best. These are the main features you need to look for in your luggage sets, and a few frequently asked questions answered to clarify the entire process.
Feature to Look For When Buying a Luggage Set
Do you know what separates your luggage set from a slew of cardboard boxes? Spoiler alert: a lot of things. While they have the same primary function, good luggage sets have a lot of little features that really make it a valuable purchase, such as specific pockets to hold valuables, waterproof areas in case your liquid toiletry items break, and more. These are the top things to look out for when you’re on the hunt for prime luggage.
- Material: Let’s start from the ground up: what it’s made of is going to immediately let you know if it’s a good purchase or not. For example, our top pick, the Samsonite kit, has a polycarbonate exterior so nothing is going to get in (or out, for that matter) because of a few bumps. You could throw these things down the stairs, and you’ll be good to go. Pay attention to the material. If you’ve got kids and you don’t want your luggage to get wrecked, consider staying away from cloth or canvas exteriors.
- Weight: We’re going in a descending order of importance. The weight of your luggage is absolutely critical, especially when you think about this: every extra ounce impacts your travel price. If your luggage is heavy to begin with, you’re attributing that weight to every single bag travel expense. It gets exhausting. Go lightweight when you can.
- Versatility: We throw this word around a lot, but what does it really mean when you’re talking about luggage? Primarily, wheels. You’ve gotta have an easy way to move it around, and not have a horrible time trying to access the main pocket, as well. Wheels, extending handles, and a zipper that isn’t going to require a bodybuilder to open it. On top of that, it has to contour to your business lifestyle and your vacation lifestyle, so you don’t end up needing additional luggage.
- Storage Capabilities: Another feature that seems straightforward until you think about it. If you pack your luggage to the brim, then you’re looking for maximum storage. Basically, all those little zippered pockets on the inside aren’t going to cut it. However, if you have a lot of small items or you travel light, and you want them to be in a secure space within your luggage, you want the storage capabilities of false backings and delicates
- Lining: Some are waterproof, some are not - the importance of that fact only comes into play if you’re bringing your own toiletry items along for the ride. It’s always recommended to keep these in a dopp kit within your bag. Most luggage, including our Samsonite top pick for this list, come with cloth lining, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
- Warranty: I know what you’re thinking. It’s luggage, so why do I need a warranty, right? Most luggage sets come with excellen warranties - 10 years on average - and it’s all for a good reason. It makes the product look good when it has a long warranty, but it’s also crucial for potential returns. Eight years down the road, you lose something out of your suitcase due to a small hole, or the stitching that holds the zipper in place ends up splitting. Time to check on that warranty.
Luggage Set FAQ
Q: What Size Luggage Set Do I Need?
A: We’ve developed a mini guide within this guide (It’s like buying guide Inception in here) for you to figure out what size you’re going to need.
- Businessman: Travel all the time for business? We’re willing to bet that your luggage set will usually contain additional suits, shoes, care items for your attire, a dopp kit, among other things. That being said, you’re going to need a bit more space, and if you’re travelling for work anyway, they’ll usually handle the additional bag costs for you on the airline. You need to stay fresh and look your best, so a minimum of a three-piece set is necessary to ensure you have everything you need, and that nothing gets left behind.
- The Leisure Traveller: You get to hit multiple locations on your bucket list and have a fun time. This is especially awesome if you get to work remotely, so you can save space for all your vacation clothing instead of the corporate casual appeal. This depends on a couple of things:
- How long is your trip going to be? (7+ days require a three-piece set for books, electronics, clothing, and room for items you pick up from foreign countries.)
- How much shopping do you intend to do while you’re gone?
- Are you going to be doing your laundry on the road? (If not, this requires packing additional clothing.)
- Locks: Now, these need to be TSA-approved, so don’t jump on just any old lock. If the TSA can’t get into your suitcase, that’s a huge, huge problem that you just want to avoid. That being said, luggage theft isn’t a growing concern, but if you’re bringing these items on a short trip, chances are you really like them and you don’t want thieves getting ahold of your stuff. Not the most important feature, but one that shouldn’t be overlooked as a possibility.
- The Weekender: Chances are, your weekend isn’t to spend time with your parents - maybe your in-laws, but not your parents. Let’s face it, gentlemen: your lady is going to run out of room, and se as much space in your luggage as possible. Avoiding the headache, drama and potential argument is a worthy reason as to why you need at least a three-piece luggage set.
Q: Can Luggage Be “Too Big” for Air Travel?
A: TSA guidelines change on a constant basis, and we don’t want to give you incorrect information. You can navigate their website to learn more about updated restrictions. According to their guidelines as of February 19th, 2018, at the time of writing this informative guide, everything on our top ten list is completely appropriately-sized and perfect for bag checking on a plane.
Q: I’m Travelling on a Greyhound, How Much Luggage do I Need?
A: That all depends on how much you want your cost to be. Greyhound busses (as well as any other major bus transit company) often have a small spot for you to bring carry-on that’s included in the ticket, but their luggage storage compartments on the exterior of the bus are an additional cost.
More information on their specific policies (again, these change and we don’t want to give you incorrect information), but you can check out more on their website’s baggage policy information page.
Helpful Life Hack for Your Luggage and Saving Money
Do you know how much it costs to fly with additional luggage? Hell, even travelling with Greyhounds can be more expensive than this simple little trick. It’s going to appear obvious, but don’t kick yourself for it: mail your luggage to your destination.
Now, that may sound simple, but if you’re heading to a hotel near a convention center or workplace event, you’ll want to check and make sure that wherever you’re staying at will hold packages for you. They may need to ensure that you’ve already booked a reservation or paid ahead before agreeing to hold your luggage, but most hotels will hold onto it for you.
If you’re travelling within your own country and you’re aware of your postal procedures, consider renting a P.O. box for a month, bite the bullet of that fee, and see how much it’ll cost to mail it out. If you’re really going for a budgeted trip here where you want to save as much money as possible for other things, you’ll want to consider mailing you luggage out. Check out the USPS calculator and find out if it’s going to be cheaper to mail your luggage.
Q: Do You Even Lift?
A: If you’re travelling by car, bus, or anywhere domestically that’s not on an aircraft (this includes boat trips and cruises), you want to be sure you can actually life your bag. If you’re travelling with the Mrs., you’re likely going to pull the gentlemanliness tactic and carry hers, as well. It’s crucial to ensure that you’re not overstuffing your bag, or at the very least, getting one that’s out of your lifting capacity.
Hardside versus Softside Luggage
Time for the ultimate showdown. One of the biggest things you may be thinking is, “How do I know if this luggage is perfect for me?” Well, let’s categorize the difference between soft luggage, and hardside luggage before you hit that checkout button.
Pros of Hardside Luggage
- Waterproof, so minor spills before a flight or when your coffee goes flying in the car, aren’t going to bother you.
- TSA-approved locks are usually apart of the basic construction of any hardside luggage.
- Won’t stain for any reason.
Pros of Softside Luggage
- Generally more lightweight and provides an easier lift.
- Flexible interior; you can overstuff your bag and it will still close (as long as you’re not going totally nuts).
- Fits into areas more compactly; just like how you stuffed the bag, you can stuff it into a storage area or compartment.
Q: What Is a Nested Set?
A: If you’ve ever seen a bag fit into another bag, just like Russian dolls, then you’ve seen a nested set of luggage. These fit within one another to give you ultimate versatility while you’re out on the road. If you’re big on bringing back souvenirs and other items, you can simply pull out a smaller bag, fill it with trinkets, and come home with a carry-on.
The Final Note
So which luggage type is right for you? We hope this guide opened your eyes to some serious questions you should be asking yourself about your luggage and travel habits. Keep your valuables secure, your attire fresh and ready, and travel expenses to a minimum with the excellent selection we’ve grabbed for you.