The days when choosing a car wax came down to which paste had the snazziest can are long gone. Car wax today comes in various forms that utilize an array of polymers and other ingredients both natural and synthetic that provide it with UV resistance, the ability to repair surface imperfections and a durability that older paste waxes could only dream of. In this review guide we’re going to highlight those modern car waxes we feel stand head and shoulders above the competition.
Our Top 3 Picks for Best Car Wax
Our first 3 waxes are those that our product review panel believes are in a league by themselves. Say hello to our 2017 car wax Hall of Fame.
Aero Cosmetics Waterless Wash
Aero Cosmetics Waterless Car Wash is a favorite of the armed forces as well as the high and mighty who want their limo or private aircraft to dazzle.
The Aero Cosmetics Waterless Car Wax can either be used by itself (instead of a traditional water wash) or it can be sprayed onto a car that’s just been washed with water and is still wet. In that case you’ll be able to wax the car as you dry it.
- Ammonia and alcohol free Aero waterless car wax if fully biodegradable.
- Spray Aero wax on your car after traditional wash and wax your car as you dry it.
- If you’re not thrilled they’ll give you your money back.
- You’ll probably wind up using more than you expect to.
Liquid Glass LG-100 Ultimate
Liquid Glass car polish provides first class protection against road salt, tree sap, bird droppings, acid rain and other environmental hazards.
Liquid Glass car wax will likely provide your car with the most incredible shine it’s ever had. It’s like sealing your car in a layer of polyurethane except that it won’t yellow over time like poly. It’s a pretty amazing product at a thoroughly reasonable price.
- Car wax that won’t ever peel, chip, crack or yellow.
- The highly reflective finish is tough as nails and never needs to be stripped.
- Incredibly easy to use just wash the car, apply the Liquid Glass auto wax, let it dry and buff.
- Good luck should you ever decide to remove it for any reason.
Wash your car then treat it to Car Guys Hybrid Car Wax sealant with UV protection for a finish that will be the envy of the neighborhood.
Sometimes you’re just too busy to subject your car to a full on wash and wax. In those cases you need something to provide a high quality short term finish. That would be Car Guys Hybrid Spray Car Wax Sealant. It does an outstanding job of filling the void between detailing sessions.
- Anyone can ramp up the luster with this super easy to use car wax.
- Intended to hold you over between comprehensive car wax jobs.
- Comes with an edgeless microfiber towel to ensure you achieve the optimal finish.
Now that we’ve highlighted our top 3 let’s take a look at the rest of the products that round out this “Best Of” list.
Chemical Guys Butter Wet Car Wax makes all your car’s non textured surfaces look good as new. Easy to use and UV resistant, it’s fast becoming a high-end car care standard.
Chemical Guys car wax goes on smooth as butter and is a cinch to wipe off. When finished your car is going to look great from the wheels to the sunroof. It provides high levels of UV protection and does a good job of protecting against common scourges like bird droppings, tree sap and acid rain.
- Chemical Guys Butter Wet Car Wax is made from 100% carnauba wax.
- Provides a deep wet resonant look to any paint finish.
- Use it on the chrome, windshield, wheels and more.
- Don’t expect it to last more than a couple of weeks.
Zymol Carbon Car Wax is intended for use on darker color cars but truth be told it does an outstanding job on lighter color cars as well.
We don’t care if this product changes from lead into gold when exposed to the air. All we really care about is if it works. And boy does it ever. It provides a really deep satisfying glow to your car without a ton of effort or expense. The three hallmarks of a quality car wax.
- A hybrid “zyme” that reacts to air when you apply it and becomes a first class car wax.
- 37% pure Brazilian Carnauba by volume.
- Provides excellent protection for all cars but really shows its stuff on black cars.
- They recommend you don’t apply it to your car until you first wash it with their HD-Cleanse.
McKee makes a lot of claims about its ability to clean up after other waxes as well as Mother Nature and the good news is that, for the most part, it delivers.
A great overall car wax that will leave your vehicle with a rich, satisfying shine while correcting some tiny imperfections and protecting against the big bad sun. It requires a bit more elbow grease than some other waxes but most will find the end result very satisfying.
- Contains micro-abrasives that gently scour the paint surface removing imperfections.
- A high grade polymer protects your car from hazards like UV rays and acid rain.
- Leaves your car’s finish looking silky smooth.
- Don’t look for those nice little beads of water after using this car wax.
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste
A throwback type of package masks a thoroughly modern product based on Brazilian Carnauba wax that will have your car’s surface singin’ in the rain.
Mother’s California Gold car wax is great for those who like to spend a Sunday afternoon washing and waxing the car. As with most paste wax products it requires more physical investment but the end result is so satisfying you’ll be eager to do it again.
- Intended as the 3rd step in the company’s car wax ‘system’ this product also holds its own.
- Delivers convincingly on its promise to create a smooth, luxurious finish.
- You get a great finished product for pretty short money.
- You might have to use it several times to enjoy the finish this car wax can provide.
Car Guys Synthetic Polymer Liquid
Formulated to be easier on the arms than most traditional paste waxes, Car Guys Synthetic paint sealant shelters your paint job behind a high gloss layer of protection.
You really can’t lose with Car Guys liquid car wax sealant. It leaves your car looking great while also protecting it from environmental hazards. Carnauba wax is known for its heat resistance and durability so you won’t be outside re-waxing every 2 weeks. Comes with its own microfiber towel.
- An effective rain barrier protecting your car from atmospheric pollutants.
- Easy to apply and just as easy to buff out so the process won’t exhaust you.
- Patented polymer formula integrates the latest advances in nano spec tech.
- Costs a little more than some other waxes.
Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care
Not strictly a car wax, Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care works its magic on the peripherals so that your whole car looks its very best at all times.
Perhaps the best vinyl care on the market Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care leaves the inside of your car as well as exterior trim elements looking as good as the rest of the vehicle. Easy to use and lightly scented, it’s a must have component of any car care system.
- Seeps into textured surfaces of the car and provides them with a full range of protections as well as a showroom quality appearance.
- The protective barrier is anti-static to prevent your interior from becoming a dust magnet.
- An important car care product but not a true car wax.
Best Bang for your Buck
We round out our list of car wax champs by featuring 2 products we believe represent the Best Bang for your Buck.
Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax
An extraordinary liquid wax that would have easily wound up in our Hall of Fame if it wasn’t also such a Best Bang for your Buck.
You’ll love the way water beads up on your car after using Meguiar’s Liquid Car Wax and you’ll love the fact that you didn’t have to sacrifice your arm to get a great result. If you really want something to cheer about, buff it out with an orbital buffer.
- Waxing your car in direct sunlight is no longer an issue with Meguiar’s liquid car wax.
- Won’t turn white if it gets on your trim by accident.
- Effortless application and just as easy to wipe off.
- Not the longest lasting car wax on the market though your car will look great.
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste
An American classic, Turtle Wax Hard Shell Paste Car Wax gets the job done and then some and for a price that will leave you shaking your head.
If you’re looking for dependable protection against environmental hazards as well as a shine that will make your car look like new again and all for the price of bacon air freshener, Turtle Wax is the wax for you.
- Provides robust UV protection.
- Goes on nice and easy and buffs out to a great shine.
- Been around for decades for one simple reason: it works.
- Is a bit of work but what do you want for this price?
The following are some common questions consumers have about car wax.
What’s is the Best Car Wax?
Any of the waxes in our Hall of Fame will fit the bill. They all produce professional results and won’t make much of a dent in your wallet.
How Should You Wax Your Car?
This depends entirely on the type of wax you’re using but applying wax whether spray, liquid or paste to a dirty car is a sure way to destroy the finish.
What is the #1 Car Wax to Remove Scratches?
A car wax cannot actually remove a scratch that goes through the clear coat. What it can do instead is hide them. Some do a better job of hiding/disguising scratches than others. Of the waxes on our list Meguiar’s Liquid Wax is considered to be effective.
Who Makes the Best Car Wax?
Ask a dozen car enthusiasts which is the best wax and you’ll likely get a dozen different answers. The best thing to do is try several types and decide for yourself which works best for you and your car.
What is the Best Car Wax for Long Term Protection?
Liquid Glass LG100 is the best of the items in our list and without a doubt one of the best there is period.
What is the Best Car Wax to Use on a Black Car?
Once again we have to defer to Meguiar’s Liquid Wax as it’s specifically formulated with dark colored cars in mind.
Things to Look for When Buying Car Wax
While buying car wax isn’t rocket science, it’s closer to rocket science than it was 30 years ago so there are some things you’ll want to look for in the car wax you buy.
Delivery Method – Waxes come in paste, liquid and spray form and which one you use will be a matter of how hard you want to work to buff it out. Spray waxes are typically easy to buff with liquids being the next easiest and pastes typically being the most labor intensive.
Natural or Synthetic – Natural waxes like carnauba wax provide a deep, rich shine that’s very satisfying to behold. Synthetic waxes by comparison will provide a harder, higher gloss that some feel looks almost like you wrapped your car in glass. So it comes down to taste.
Machine or Hand Polish – While many folks will choose one or the other, if you really want your car to have a gold-medal shine you’ll want to do both. It will take longer and require more work to be sure, but the final result will speak for itself.
Price – While you’re not going to pay an arm and a leg for any car wax, you’ll probably find out for yourself that there isn’t a big difference between the results you get with a $20 car wax and the result you get from a $90 car wax.
Car wax today is way more sophisticated than it was in your parent’s day. However, the reason for using it hasn’t changed: to make your car look showroom new. Every car wax profiled above will do just that. We hope you found this information useful and check back regularly for more product guides and reviews.