Best Home Safe
When it comes to securing your valuables you have a few options. You can rent a safe deposit box at the bank, you can dig a hole in the backyard, or you can buy a home safe. Lets eliminate the hole in the ground right off the bat. That leaves 2 viable options; the safe deposit box and the home safe. With the safe deposit box your valuables are tucked away in a vault behind a steel door about 2 feet thick. Safe yes, but that doesn’t mean it’s the perfect solution. What if you decide you want to wear your $2,000 watch to dinner with the Mrs? Or she wants to wear the diamond pendant you gave her? Or you realize you need an important document that’s in the box but the bank is closed? What you really need is a home safe. In this product review guide then we’re going to take a look at what we consider to be the best home safes on the market. We’ll select 3 for our Hall of Fame and 2 we consider to be outstanding overall values in our “Best Bang for your Buck” section. Let’s get started.
Our Top Picks for Best Home Safe:
When a safe contains both biometric and keypad access it sometimes means the manufacturer doesn’t have a lot of faith in the scanner. That’s not the case with this home safe. This is a professional grade fingerprint ID device that won’t let you down.
How much you pay for a home safe is entirely up to you but if you want the best you should consider shelling out a bit more and getting the Verifi Smart Biometric Safe. Not only is access controlled by a superior biometric scanner that can hold up to 40 fingerprints at a time, but the safe itself is built like a tank. No weasel with a screwdriver is going to pry this baby open and clean you out.
- The scanner is first rate and provides security above and beyond the simple 4 digit code.
- All your interactions with this home safe can be conducted via the Smart Safe LCD screen.
- Built tough using high grade steel and tamper proof/pry proof hinges.
- The scanner occasionally rejects valid fingerprints unless perfectly positioned.
- State of the art fingerprint scanner certified by the FBI provides reliable biometric access.
- Add up to 40 fingerprints to the access log so others can get in should an emergency arise.
- A host of other features including tamper alert, LCD display, nite lite, stealth mode and more.
- Several years of use on one set of batteries.
- Cross cut key for backup access.
The keypad access code on the Adir home safe is completely customizable and can be changed as often as you like and the LCD display keeps you up to date on battery status as well as telling you if the safe is locked or unlocked.
Unless you’re in need of somewhere to store the Hope Diamond, the Adir Home Safe should be plenty of safe for you. Bolt it to the floor and you’ll have a safe box for your family treasure that will stand the test of time, stand up to fires and floods and ensure the kids never accidently gain access to your firearms.
- Plenty of room inside this home safe for sidearms, important documents and jewelry.
- If 1.25 cubic feet is not enough there’s a larger version with 2.32 cubic feet.
- You won’t have to spend your vacation money to get it.
- Numbers on number pad are unnecessarily small.
- Fully programmable access keeps thieves out and allows you dependable access when you need it.
- Pry proof hinges and robust steel construction throughout means your valuables are secure.
- Carpeted floor prevents your jewelry from getting damaged.
- Dual live door bolts for added security.
- Digital display indicates locked, unlocked and low battery status.
It’s not enough that Amazon is changing retail as we know it, but now they’re into home security devices like this home safe as well.
An affordable alternative to the high priced home safe, the AmazonBasics Security Safe will keep your treasure out of the hands of intruders while providing you with easy access via the dependable keypad feature. It’s not the biggest home safe but its compact size belies its effectiveness.
- Ideal for securing important documents, jewelry, expensive cameras, iPads and more.
- The interior shelf can be moved or completely removed if you want one open space.
- Unlike some safes you can read the keypad numbers without a magnifying glass.
- Make sure you bolt it down because it’s small enough to be carried away.
- Carpeted floor protects your delicate jewelry from getting damaged or chipped.
- 2 inch thick door with 2 live bolts.
- Mount this home safe to the floor or the wall using the included bolts.
- Concealed hinges make prying the door open extremely difficult.
- A small safe that won’t draw attention to itself and can be easily hidden.
- You won’t lose stored fingerprint data if the batteries die.
- Crystal clear LCD display keeps you up to date on door status and battery charge.
- This home safe is engineered to precise tolerances.
- This home safe is engineered to precise tolerances.
- Built to exacting tolerances to prevent prying or other unwanted intrusions.
- Motorized deadbolt system closes the door with authority.
- Dual access via the biometric fingerprint scanner or programmable numeric keypad.
- Home safe sounds the alarm to alert you that the door is unlocked.
- Keep your important paperwork and digital media safe from water and fire damage.
- Never worry about security when you have to transport important contracts and files.
- The perfect way to transport important items between one safe and another.
- It’s pretty heavy for a portable home safe so it’s not for everyone in that regard.
- Waterproof for up to 48 hours so ideal if you live in a flood prone area.
- Will keep documents safe from fire for up to an hour at 1700 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heavy duty carrying handle in case you need to take your valuables or documents with you.
- Lifetime “After Fire” replacement guarantee means you’re covered in the event of fire damage to the unit.
- Can be taken to the range or across country or bolted in place under the nightstand.
- The keypad illuminates when you come near so you can see what you’re doing.
- Tips the scales at a very reasonable 7.2 pounds
- The lid can be quite noisy while opening.
- Monitor your Vaultek safe remotely using the built in Bluetooth app.
- Conforms to TSA firearm conveyance standards.
- Store 20 different fingerprints on the biometric scanner.
- Hot key entries make operating the unit easier and more convenient.
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries keep you powered up for months at a time.
- A dependable, affordable means of keeping your valuables safe in the house.
- Well-built to resist attempted intrusions and when bolted down it’s even more secure.
- Actually a lot more safe than one has reason to expect for the price.
- Not fireproof or waterproof.
- Fully concealed tamper proof hinges ensure no pry bar entries.
- Floor of the safe is fully padded to keep fragile jewelry from getting chipped or damaged.
- “Cash” slot allows you to insert bills without having to open the safe.
- Tough, 1/8 inch solid steel walls aren’t anyone’s fool.
- Dual access capability either through keypad or via backup keys.
- Tough 1/8 inch solid steel walls for incredible strength.
- Fully programmable keypad accepts up to 8 digit passcodes.
- Comes with pre-drilled anchor holes so you can make it a wall safe a floor safe or bolt it to the countertop.
- Key entry backup with circular keys that discourage picking.
- Compact size makes for a discreet safe.
- Attractive, tough, affordable and plenty of room inside.
- Holds several handguns so you can keep them out of the reach of the kids.
- One of the better looking safes on the list.
- The number pad can be difficult to read if you have less than perfect eyesight.
- Fully programmable keypad unit accepts pass codes of up to 8 digits.
- Comes complete with a kit to bolt the unit to the surface of your choice.
- Perfect to secure handguns, iPads, digital media storage devices and much more.
- Backup key entry means you’re never locked out.
- Snug, pry-resistant door means less chance of a pry bar entry.
- Large enough to hold a decent volume of valuable possessions.
People tend to know why they need a home safe. But they don’t often know much about them and so they have questions. Here are some of the most common home safe related questions.
How much does a safe weigh?
A typical 1.2 cubic foot home safe will weigh anywhere from about 40 lbs to about 100 lbs when empty, depending on the build quality. Thicker steel means heavier weight.
How much can you fit into a home safe?
As mentioned a typical home safe has a volume of about 1.2 cubic feet. That’s actually quite a bit of space that will fit several handguns, a large number of important documents, jewelry and other valuables.
How to install a home safe
If you really want to make your home safe worth the investment you’ll bolt it down to the floor or counter or wherever you’ve decided to put it.
How to secure a home safe
If you’ve decided to bolt your safe down you’ll need a power drill, drill bits, plugs and bolts. Once you have all those things:
- Drill 2 or 4 holes in the bottom of your home safe.
- Place the safe where you want it on the floor and put a marker through the holes leaving a mark on the floor for each hole.
- Set the safe aside and drill the holes on the floor where the marks indicate.
- Set your receptacle plugs into the holes.
- Place the safe back over the holes
- Put the bolts through the holes and screw them into the plugs until the safe is tight against the floor or countertop.
Things to Look for When Buying a Home Safe
Here are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind when shopping for a home safe.
Size – The average size of a home safe is around 1.2 square feet. There are some that are smaller and some that are larger. But 1.2 square feet will provide you plenty of room to secure everything from important documents to laptops to firearms with no problem. And it won’t be so big it draws attention to itself.
Fire and Waterproof – This is optional but many people who buy a home safe want either a waterproof or fire proof safe, or one that is both. It makes a lot of sense if you live in flood prone areas to have a waterproof safe. Having a fire proof safe is just a good idea no matter where you live. But again it’s up to you.
Type of Locking Mechanism – Almost every home safe is fitted with a keypad so you can program your own access code and most also have a backup method (typically a key) of obtaining access. Biometric scanners are becoming more popular as the technology improves but as of this writing only the best home safe has a truly reliable biometric scanner. These systems typically have keypads as the backup method of gaining entry.
Price – As with most things in life you pretty much get what you pay for with a home safe. Although there are some bona fide great deals out there, if you want to be certain the home safe you’re buying is of the highest quality you’re going to need to pay a little extra. That said you should be able to get a perfectly reasonable home safe for less than $200.
Making sure your valuable belongings are properly secured against intruders is important whether you live in a house, apartment or condo. The best way to do that is with a home safe that is bolted down. We hope you found this information useful and be sure to check back to gearhungry.com on a regular basis for more product review guides.