10 Best Beard Trimmers On The Market
When we were kids we spent hours staring into the mirror waiting for the first vestiges of facial hair to break the surface and declare we were no longer children. Now here we are, years later, having to spend time every morning making sure that facial hair isn’t a portable bird’s nest and wondering what all the beard fuss was about anyway. But regardless of whether you see your beard as your greatest asset or a ball and chain attached to your face you need to take steps to make sure it looks and feels great so you can look and feel great too. The best way to do that is with a first-class beard trimmer.
So for all the guys out there questing for the perfect beard we’re here to help with our list of the best beard trimmers on the market today. It’s not a scientific survey. Rather, it’s based on the experience of our product review experts (some of whom would give Grizzly Adams a run for his money) and any opinions expressed in the following review guide are theirs and theirs alone. Now that we’re square on the ground rules, let’s get started.
Top Picks for the Best Beard Trimmers
Philips Norelco Multigroom
The Sminiker Grooming Kit and Beard Trimmer makes beard maintenance easy as pie. You get precise control over every facet of your beard with the beard and stubble comb offering you incremental 1mm settings and the company’s exclusive “turbo boost” for taming even the coarsest facial hair.
We love the stand/organizer that allows us to keep everything together nice and neat. We love the array of grooming heads. We love how easy it is to get precise detail with this trimmer and how easy it is to remove bothersome ear hairs. The Sminiker Grooming Kit and Beard Trimmer makes taking care of facial hair a pleasure rather than a chore and the results will speak for themselves.
- Take control of your beard with Sminiker’s array of beard trimmer grooming heads.
- Get as detailed as you want with little effort.
- No elaborate cleaning or maintenance required.
- Charges quickly and delivers up to 1 hour per charge.
- Trimmer feels a bit lean in hand.
Remington PG6025 All-in-1
Wahl doesn’t mess around when it comes to your beard and this trimmer is a perfect example of their no-nonsense approach to male grooming. The trimmer charges quickly and once ready to go you have several extensions that each do specific tasks and do them well.
The Wahl Lithium Ion Stainless Steel Groomer has the most satisfying feel of any trimmer we tested. It also charges faster than just about anything else on our list and the 1 minute quick charge is a nice feature for those days you’re in a hurry but forgot to charge the unit. We wish it came with a stand for all the components but you can have everything.
- As much as 4 hours of operation on each charge.
- A very satisfying heft to the unit.
- 1 minute quick charge will provide you with 3 minutes of performance when you’re in a hurry.
- No stand for holding the trimmer and its extensions.
Philips Norelco OneBlade
The Panasonic ER-GB40S has the most ergonomically satisfying profile of our trimmers. It fits neatly into your hand and stays there with little or no effort. This makes it easy to reach every facet of your face and achieve precise results. With its nifty looking recharge stand it cuts an impressive profile.
In a world where battery quality has become an issue on so many cordless devices it’s great to have the option of being able to plug this trimmer in and get a shave no matter what. Beyond that this is an extremely comfortable trimmer, one you’ll look forward to using every morning. The 19 precision settings are great though we wouldn’t mind a few more extensions for various types of detail work.
- The rubberized grip gives you a solid, effortless hold for greater control.
- Trimmer can be plugged in for longer use.
- 19 settings available for trimming your beard or hair.
- High quality stainless steel blades for optimal durability.
- Wish there were a few more extensions.
Philips Norelco Series 5100
One of the best looking entries in our beard trimmer survey the Philips Norelco Multigroom trimmer provides an exceptionally comfortable experience for the guy on the go. The trimmer feels extremely comfortable in hand and the plethora of extensions let you master your look quickly and effectively.
Your beard will never be the same once you begin treating it with the Philips Norelco Multigroom 3100 trimmer. A world of styling possibilities will suddenly open up and you’ll find yourself wanting to try everything. The trimmer also allows you to style your hair, although we wouldn’t advise too much of that unless you have some barber shop experience. All in all effortless performance.
- Self-sharpening chromium steel blades ensure durability.
- Just pop it under the faucet for easy cleanup.
- Blades are non-aggressive to save your face from excessive irritation.
- Takes a while to charge this trimmer.
Remington has a history of producing shavers that run the gamut from excellent to, let’s say “not excellent”. Recently though they seem to have stabilized a bit and “The Crafter” kit is a perfect example of what they can do when they put their collective mind to it.
The Remington Crafter beard trimmer kit provides plenty of options for anyone wanting to explore a higher degree of style in their facial hair and an elevated sense of cleanliness and good grooming. There are no mysteries here. Everything has an easy to understand purpose and when you’re done just rinse the trimmer off under the faucet, let it dry and stow it away.
- Powered by dependable, rechargeable Lithium-ion battery.
- A range of trimmers and detail attachments with half a dozen combs.A range of trimmers and detail attachments with half a dozen combs.
- Fully waterproof for easy cleanup.
- 60 day money back warranty if you’re not satisfied and 2 year on materials and workmanship.
- It would have been nice if there were a countertop organizer included.
Wahl Power Pro Corded
Another L-i trimmer from Wahl the All in One Grooming Kit sports the company’s typically excellent feel and typically spartan extension options. Like other Wahl devices this one charges quickly and gets right down to business. Ideal for achieving detail or touching up.
There’s no doubt the Lithium-ion battery of the Wahl All in One Grooming Kit and trimmer is a breath of fresh air. It charges completely in about 1 hour and if you forgot to plug it in the night before you can do a quick 1 minute charge that will provide you 3 minutes to clean things up enough to face the world. It’s affordable as well which may explain the dearth of extensions.
- 1 minute quick charge for when you’re on the go and can’t wait.
- Dual shaver head, t-blade, trimmer guides and t-blade guides included.
- 5 year limited warranty on parts and workmanship.
- A few more heads would be nice, along with a countertop rack.
Wahl Beard Cord
This Philips Norelco trimmer didn’t make our list because of its sterling design it’s here because it does a dependable job cleaning up your facial hair and shaping it into something clean and compelling. It’s also one of the non-Wahl devices on our list with a Lithium-ion battery.
The company makes some effort to tout the vacuum feature but they might have been better off just leaving it out. That said, on the whole the 7200 beard trimmer does a good to great job providing you with what you need to keep your beard looking sharp. Trim length is easy to set using the ‘zoom’ wheel and the whole thing cleans up in a snap.
- Get up to 80 minutes of performance on a single 1 hour charge.
- Blades are very easy on the skin. Very little pulling.
- 5 year limited warranty on materials and craftsmanship.
- Vacuum feature is something less than sensational.
Braun BT 5090
Another Wahl trimmer the Groomsman is another high quality tactile experience that makes you want to pick up your shaver/trimmer in the morning. Includes a 6 position beard length trimmer and the ability to run either cordless or while plugged in.
If you can get past the formidable wall of sound the trimmer emits you’ll find a man’s grooming product the delivers on its promise of easy, dependable use. In typical Wahl fashion they’ve kept the extras to a minimum but that’s okay because the 6 position trim guide should provide enough grooming options for just about anyone.
- Another ergonomic success from Wahl.
- Comes with handy travel pouch.
- The high-carbon stainless steel blades last longer and cut closer.
- 3 year limited warranty on workmanship and materials.
- One of the loudest beard trimmers we tested.
The final Philips Norelco trimmer on our list is the 3000 series Multigroom trimmer. Ironically, although this is the most affordable PN trimmer on our list it also boasts some of the highest quality blades as well as a Lithium-ion power pack that recharges fast and effectively.
This trimmer doesn’t have the pleasing weight of some of the other trimmers on our list but what it lacks in heft it makes up for in performance. It features a wide array of extensions to achieve just about any type of effect and the L-i battery has a quick charge feature like the Wahl L-i trimmer that allows you to get cleaned up even if you forgot to fully charge the trimmer the night before.
- 3 hour charge of the Lithium-ion battery produces 1 hour of power.
- The high quality stainless steel blades are self-sharpening.
- Comes with handsome bag for storing accessories.
- Shaver feels a bit plasticky but that’s to be expected for the price.
Pulling up the rear on our list of Best Beard Trimmers is this pocket rocket from Remington: the PG6025. The PG6025 trimmer comes with an assortment of extensions that allow you to get barbershop level results with minimal effort and investment.
The PG6025 trimmer is a pretty remarkable deal at less than 20 bucks. It’s versatile, recharges fast, cleans up easy and has a nifty carry bag for the myriad extensions. If you’re looking for a best bang for your buck we’d recommend you give the PG6025 from Remington a test drive. With the 60 day money back guarantee you have nothing to lose.
- The Lithium-ion battery provides dependable power on short charge times.
- Rust free stainless steel blades are self-sharpening.
- Entire trimmer cleans up fast and easy.
- 2 year manufacturing warranty and 60 day money back satisfaction guarantee.
- Not the most ergonomically pleasing trimmer we tested.
While operating an electric trimmer isn’t rocket science it does take practice and patience if you’re to learn the proper use of the different attachments. Here are some questions guys typically have when they’re contemplating the purchase of an electric trimmer.
What’s the best beard trimmer?
Among the top products in any line it’s very difficult to absolutely say this is better than that. (Is a Ferrari better than a Lamborghini?) That said if we had no choice but to pick one trimmer today, the consensus of our experts would be to pick the Panasonic ER-GB40S. It feels as good as it looks and it works as good as it feels.
How do I trim my beard?
While each man has his own grooming rituals the process of trimming the beard with an electric trimmer generally proceeds as such:
- Wash and dry your beard to soften up both beard and skin.
- Select the trimming tool you feel will best deliver the look you’re after.
- While each man has their own system as mentioned above, it’s common to start by cleaning up the neck area and establishing a border under the chin. Don’t make your borderline too close to the chin line though, or you’ll wind up with a George Lucas type fiasco.
- Next move over to the side of your face and clean up around the cheeks and ears.
- Don’t forget to give the same level of attention to the mustache.
- Once you have the beard you want in the style you want make sure you tidy it up every day to keep it looking and feeling its best.
Do I need a separate trimmer for my beard and body hair?
If by “body hair” you mean the hair on the top of your head most of the grooming kits above come with extensions that allow you keep your hair neat and trim. Remember, however, that you should keep any touchups to your haircut to a minimum leaving most of it to your barber who has the advantage of being able to move around your head while he works.
Things to Look for When Buying a Beard Trimmer
Most men don’t have much idea what to look for when purchasing their first electric trimmer. In order to help clarify things for you we’ve compiled a brief list of things you’ll want to look for/keep in mind so that you wind up with the reliable, high-quality beard trimmer you want.
Battery life – In recent years a lot of manufacturers have begun sourcing their batteries from countries and companies whose quality control is, let’s say, questionable to be kind. On the other hand some manufacturers have embraced the Lithium-ion battery that is generally more dependable, charges faster and holds a charge better than old fashioned rechargeable batteries. So things seem to be moving in the right direction overall.
To cord or not to cord? – That is the question alright. Whether it’s smarter to go completely cordless or choose a trimmer that offers both cordless and corded operation. For our money we’ll take the dual powering options every time.
Build quality – Try to avoid a trimmer that is entirely plastic if possible. Look for a trimmer with high-quality, self-sharpening stainless steel blades, a dependable battery and a range of extensions.
Ease of maintenance – If at all possible you want an electric trimmer that’s fully waterproof and can be cleaned up by simply holding it under the faucet for a minute. Anything else is a waste of time and money.
Buy a name you recognize – There are a plethora of electric trimmer manufacturers these days including many you’ve never heard of before and many copycats with names that sound familiar but actually aren’t. Stick with any of the brand names on the above list and you should be fine. Even if the trimmer disappoints you’ll likely still get your money back.
If you’re still unsure which electric trimmer is right for you ask your barber for advice. They’re familiar with most of the different trimmers on the market and will usually give you a reliable recommendation, or at least tell you in more detail what to look or look out for.
The electric trimmer is an important grooming tool for any man, making maintenance of their facial hair simple and convenient and producing attractive results that promote healthy skin at the same time. When shopping for an electric trimmer just keep in mind that there are scores of knockoffs out there hoping to snag your precious hard-earned money so stick to the name brands purchased from reliable retailers like Amazon in order to minimize the risk of being stuck with a lemon.