AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder
Swingline Stack and Shred 230X Paper Shredder
Aurora AS420C Desktop Shredder
No matter what type of business you have it’s important that you don’t allow it to become a source of personal information for thieves. One of the best ways to prevent yours and other people’s information from being exploited by others is the electric shredder. While these devices are commonly called “paper shredders” the fact is that the best paper shredder will also shred other materials that may include compromising information such as CDs, DVDs, credit cards and more. Below is our list of the best shredders for 2019.
The Best Paper Shredder
Anyone who claims that Amazon only sells other people’s stuff simply hasn’t been keeping up with the times. And one of the areas where they really shine is the paper shredder. They have more than one in this list and their 8 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder is the best of the bunch. It boasts an array of features that make it the complete package.
From the ability to devour paper, credit cards and more to the ability to turn those materials into debris that will conform to P3 security standards. It also features 3 minutes of continual shredding capability before it will need to catch its breath while auto start mode will allow you to simply insert what needs to be destroyed and go on about your business. It’s ideal for SMEs or larger companies that don’t need to run the document shredder all day and is our Best Choice. If you are looking to upgrade your office, then make sure you read our ergonomic office chairs review.
8 sheet capacity
Shredded materials meet P3 security standards
Auto start mode and 3 minutes of continuous runtime
Manual reverse mode to clear jams
Weight 9.5 pounds
- Weight9.59 pounds
Goes about its business without wasting time
Outstanding build quality throughout
Compact and easily portable paper shredder
Able to shred a number of different materials including credit cards
The 3 minute run time is the lone drawback
The AU1230XA from Aurora is a smart addition to any home office or small to mid-sized enterprise. It turns paper, credit cards and all manner of potentially compromising information into tiny shreds that will pass P3 level security protocols. As it’s a cross cut shredder you’re not just creating strips that can be taped back together. You’re essentially creating a type of mulch that can’t be retrieved. There’s 5 minutes of continuous feeding and anti-jam protection should the shredder be overloaded or overworked. There’s a generous 5.2 gallon disposal bucket and an LED warning light that will tell you if this electric shredder is in danger of overheating.
Accepts as many as a dozen sheets at one time
LED overheat and standby light
Auto, off, forward and reverse power modes
Shreds documents and credit cards to P3 security level
Weight 13 pounds
- Weight13.01 pounds
5 minute run time is better than some
The anti-jam auto reverse beats having to clear jams yourself
Integrated handle promotes easy emptying
Great home shredder
Can be a bit temperamental
The Fellowes Powershred W11C turns sensitive materials into unrecognizable pieces of confetti that no one is going to reassemble. The W11C can be run continuously for 5 minutes before it needs to catch its breath for 20 and then be run again as needed. There’s a 4.75 gallon bin to catch the P4 level waste material and a built in handle to remove it easily for disposal. The Powershred also boasts advanced safety features that will keep your hands safe when operating the device. The 1 year warranty on parts and the 3 year warranty on the cutter itself are above average for the industry. For more office related equipement, check out our money counting machines list.
Can shred up to 11 documents at a time
Makes short work of staples, paper clips and more
5 minute run time followed by 20 minute cool down
SafetyLock mechanism protects fingers
Weight 14 pounds
- Weight14 pounds
The short 20 minute cool down is among the best
SafetyLock protects you and your kids if you run this at home
It’s not going to jam if it encounters a paper clip or staple
It’s a great investment for small to medium sized businesses
You might want to invest in some ear plugs
The Swingline Stack and Shred 230X is a serious piece of equipment that will help companies of every size maintain the integrity of their information. With the Stack and Shred 230X you simply stack up to 200 documents or papers, shut the lid and go back to what you were doing. The 230X takes care of the rest. It’s a real time saver that produces waste that will pass P4 security protocols. Also quickly and effectively shreds CDs and DVDs as well as credit cards and more and it won’t wilt when faced with paper clips or staples. In addition there’s an auto-reverse and refeed function that clears jams without needing your help.
21 Gallon bin capacity!
P4 security level shredding
Automatically shreds up to 200 documents
Intelligent auto-jam clearance capabilities
Weight 41.8 pounds
- Weight41.8 pounds
Load the shredder and go back to whatever you were doing
Perfect document shredder for medium sized offices
Shuts down on its own to conserve energy if left on
2 year warranty on parts and workmanship
The AmazonBasics 6-Sheet High Security Shredder is a great little tool that can be set to manual or auto mode and will handle old credit cards with the same ease it turns your sensitive documents or those confidental enteries from your diary planner into tiny pieces of recyclable waste. This shredder turns a standard document into more than 2,200 pieces as opposed to about 1/6 that many pieces from a standard cross cut shredder machine. It can also be set to start shredding the moment it senses product to shred and it won’t shy away from paper clips and staples.
Shreds documents to P4 security level
3 minute continuous running
Manual reverse to clear paper or card jams
Auto shut down for thermal protection
Weight 11.6 pounds
- Weight11.15 pounds
Fully capable of destroying old credit cards
Manual reverse to clear paper or other jams
When set to auto the shredder starts as soon as it senses product
Shredder shuts down automatically when lifted from the bin
Relatively short continuous run time
Until recently devices like paper shredders have always seemed the domain of the large, well-heeled company. But now, with the aurora AS420C Desktop Shredder, even your budding home business can take advantage of this important security product. The AS420C will indeed fit neatly onto your desktop and it won’t break your bank to acquire it. I shreds up to 4 documents at a time and because it’s a cross cutter the waste will not be retrievable. The 1/3 gallon wastebasket will hold around 40 documents and the durable steel cutters rarely need maintenance.
1.3 gallon bin capacity
Handles up to 4 sheets at a time
Built in handle on basket for easy disposal
Trim profile of 9x7x10 inches
Weight 5.5 pounds
- Weight8 ounces
Ultra-compact size makes it a great home shredder
Really attractive price point for bargain hunters
Can place it just about anywhere
Quieter than many larger shredders
Won’t shred harder materials
The Fellowes Powershred 79Ci saves you from having to monitor every aspect of your shred by automatically reversing and refeeding stubborn items rather than requiring you to do so. Beyond its anti-jam capabilities it also shreds CDs and DVDs, credit cards, membership cards and won’t skip a beat if it encounters a staple or paper clip. The Powershred 79Ci can shred the toughest materials continuously for up to 20 minutes before it needs to catch its breath. And with a 6 gallon output bin you won’t have to be hanging around the shredder having to constantly empty the basket. It’s P4 level security everyone can afford. Pretty handy gadget, don’t you think?
Powershred jam proof system
Smart SafeSense technology protects hands
P4 security level shredding
Weight 33 pounds
- Weight3.52 ounces
The auto shutdown feature protects your fingers
It’s not a whisper quiet electric shredder but it’s pretty close
Comes with a 2 year limited warranty
20 minutes of continuous operation
Jams easier than some other machines
The Bonsaii EverShred offers up to 60 minutes of continuous shredding and produces waste that will pass C3 level security protocols when it comes to the disposal of documents, credit cards, CDs and more. If there’s a downside to the C149-C it’s that running the shredder for an hour straight is going to create quite the mountain of debris and someone will need to be watching the waste bin carefully. Another outstanding feature of the C149-C is the noise level. At 62 decibels it makes about the same noise as a refrigerator. Pretty amazing. Make sure you also check our guide to the best filing cabinets.
Class leading 60 minutes run time
Generates a scant 62 decibels of sound
Casters allow shredder to go where you need it
Shreds credit cards, CDs, DVDs and staples
Weight 23 pounds
- Weight23.1 pounds
Large companies will appreciate the 60 minute run time
Remarkably quiet for a shredder machine this big
The 18 sheet capacity is not an empty boast
Will take care of all your sensitive refuse
Not the most portable paper shredder you’ll find
It’s likely your grandparents can remember when Royal typewriters were all the rage. Today, however the company has moved on to more 21st century concerns and the 14 Sheet Micro Cut Shredder is a good example of how fresh thinking can keep a company afloat. The 14 can shred up to, surprise, 14 sheets of paper at a time and can turn CDs, DVDs and more into mincemeat without breaking an electronic sweat. The 14 is heavier than many of its competitors but the locking casters make it easy to move about and it also holds more debris in its enormous 8.5 gallon bin. Don’t forget to check our guide to the best label makers, for more great items like this.
Shreds up to 14 sheets of paper at a time
Separate slots provided for credit cards DVDs and CDs
Bin capacity 575 documents
Produces 4 x 10 mm shreds
Weight 39 pounds
- Weight39 pounds
A serious shredder for larger companies
Auto start feature is a time saver
The view window in front lets you monitor the basket
Feature rich for such an affordable unit
Can be noisy
The HSM Shredstar X17 is one of the best looking shredders on the market. That’s important if you’ve invested a lot of time and money in the look of your office and you don’t want a glorified trash bin with a design mind of its own undermining the look. But it’s more than just a pretty face. It shreds up to 17 documents at a time and won’t choke on DVDs, CDs or credit cards. Likewise staples and paper clips are no problem either. This is a tough, well-engineered piece of office technology with a large waste bin you won’t have to be constantly emptying. The icing on the cake for those who prefer to support companies that demonstrate social responsibility is that HSM donates $2 from every sale to charity.
Shreds paper, credit cards, CDs and DVDs
Doesn’t shy away from staples or paper clips
Units’ status is provided via the LED indicator
Dedicated CD cutting slot
Weight 28 pounds
- Weight28.7 pounds
A relatively powerful discount shredder
Reliable anti-jam technology
LED indicator lights let you keep track of shredders status
$2 from every sale is donated to charity
Not the fastest shredder on the block
Paper Shredder Buyer’s Guide
How We Chose Our Selection of Paper Shredders:
- Quality - In the case of shredders quality is a matter of how well they do their job without jamming or overheating. A quality shredder is also a (relatively) quiet one, since you don’t want the shredder to be the only thing you hear in the office. The ability of the shredder to handle items other than perfect pieces of legal sized paper is also important. And of course a quality shredder should also be fairly easy to move around so everyone doesn’t have to go to it.
- Reviews - Reviews can valuable for determining if there is a consensus about a particular product. But they should never be the sole determining factor in passing judgement. We take customer reviews with a grain of salt, especially the glowing or dismissive ones just because you never really know the source. For the most part we rely instead on personal experience and talking to others who have used the product.
- Price - When it comes to shredders it’s quite often a case of you get what you pay for. On the other hand your needs may not dictate that you get the most expensive, high performance shredder machine on the market. Maybe all you really need is a compact desktop model to handle the occasional document or CD. In which case it doesn’t make sense to shell out hundreds of dollars.
Features To Look For In Paper Shredders:
- Size - Some shredders are fairly large machines that are going to be hard to ignore. They’re heavy and noisy can sometimes be difficult to move around. Others tuck neatly away on the desktop or under the table and are extremely discrete. If you have plenty of office space at your disposal then the size of the shredder likely won’t matter a lot. But if you’re working in a crowded office you’ll want to take note of the dimension of the device before purchasing it.
- Capacity - There are a couple of ways to measure capacity when it comes to shredders. One is the capacity of the document shredder tray where you place items to be processed. If yours is a large company that regularly needs to dispose of large amounts of sensitive materials you’ll want a shredder that can handle 10 or 12 or more documents at a time. If yours is a small home business being able to shred a few items at once is likely enough. The other measure of capacity has to do with the waste bin. If you’re shredding lots of material you want a large bin that won’t have to be emptied every 10 minutes.
- Speed - Speed is also a byproduct of capacity. Two shredders may take the same amount of time to work their way through a standard piece of A4 paper. But if one shredder is processing 15 sheets at once and the other 3 sheets at once then obviously the 15 sheet shredder is processing material 5 times as fast.
- Run time - Most shredders offer 3 - 5 minutes of continuous run time before then need to take a break to cool down. Some, however - like the Bonsaii EverShred C149-C - offer an industry best 60 minutes of continuous feeding before you’ll be compelled to give them a brief break. Whatever run time your shredder has just remember to respect the cool down period.
- Shred size - The size of the shred determines which of the standard security protocols the document shredder is considered capable of. Most shredders adhere to P3 standards which is considered acceptable for personal data, company documents and the like. Some will create an even finer shred that will adhere to P4 standards. This standard is considered acceptable for secret documents and/or those with highly sensitive information which could, if stolen, pose an existential threat to the organization. Levels 5 and higher are for state secrets and the like and as such you won’t find many commercially available shredders that will meet that standard.
- Noise - Most shredders like the ones profiled above make about as much noise as is generated by a typical conversation. A few heavy duty shredders are a bit noisier while a few are about as quiet as a drip coffee maker or refrigerator. Typically the harder the shredder machine has to work the more noise it will make.
Paper Shredder FAQs
Q: How to use a paper shredder?
A: Virtually all shredders will need to be positioned over the waste bin before being engaged. Failure to do this will result in quite a mess with shredded material everywhere. Once the document shredder is properly positioned above the bin plug the shredder in. If yours is an auto feed shredder simply stack your items in the tray and go back to your work. If yours is a manual feed shredder you’ll need to stand by and feed documents by hand. Be sure not to stuff 10 sheets at once into a shredder designed to only accommodate 4 or 6 sheets. This will surely cause a jam. If you have a multitude of items to shred keep an eye on the waste bin and empty it as necessary. If the shredder needs a break, give it a break before it overheats.
Q: Can a paper shredder shred things like CDs, credit cards and staples?
A: Any device vying for the title of Best Paper Shredder will be able to not only shred paper documents quickly and effectively but also shred other important items such as credit cards, CDs with sensitive information on them and DVDs as well. Again, just be sure not to jam too many in at one time.
Q: How to clean, maintain and sharpen your shredder
A: Even the best paper shredder will need some TLC. The following steps will help keep your shredder clean, sharp and running properly.
- Empty the waste bin at least once a month whether you think it needs it or not
- Run the shredder machine in reverse periodically to clear hidden debris
- Don’t ever start the electric shredder back up faster than is recommended