Choosing the Top Shower Speaker
Technology has progressed by leaps and bounds in the past few decades; one breakthrough after another has led to things like the Internet, smartphones, and virtual reality. Sometimes it’s the unexpected application of these technologies that make the most significant difference in our daily lives. In this vein, the wireless shower speaker comes to mind. Today’s wireless shower speakers bring your favorite tunes, audiobooks, podcasts, and shows right into the shower with you so you can enjoy full, rich sound while you freshen up.
Finding the Right Shower Speaker
While shower speaker technology has advanced exponentially in recent years, with so many makes and models on the market, knowing which ones are the best is no easy task. So, below we’re going to provide you with a list of things to look for in-shower speakers that should help you find just the right one to match your taste and lifestyle. Let’s begin.
- Wireless Connectivity – We’re going to play Captain Obvious here and start with wireless connectivity. Without a solid Bluetooth signal, there are no tunes in the shower, or at least they’re breaking up all the time, spoiling your rhythm.
You want to make sure your speaker will pick up a clear signal from your streaming device at a distance of at least 10 meters (33 feet). Your speakers should also utilize Bluetooth 4.0 or higher, which allows for more efficient operation, improved compatibility with a greater number of Bluetooth-enabled devices, and longer battery life.
- Battery Life – Speaking of battery life! As we just mentioned, you’ll want to make sure your new wireless shower speaker utilizes Bluetooth 4.0 or above, technologies that are easier on batteries than their predecessors.
Beyond that, you’ll want to look at the specs on any shower speaker you’re considering to see how long they’ll typically run on a single charge. The longer, the better, with 5 to 8 hours minimum being the baseline we’d recommend.
Of course, as a last resort, most shower speakers can connect via an auxiliary cable, meaning playback might last longer by not using the wireless function.
- Compatibility – Wireless shower speakers don’t exist in a vacuum; they need to be paired with a mobile device that will send them a signal to play. If the phone, handset, TV Box, or tablet you’re sourcing the music from is not Bluetooth compatible, you’ve got a problem. Always check compatibility whenever you plan to pair up devices.
- Ability to Handle Calls – If you’re pairing your shower speakers up with your smartphone or other call-enabled devices, you’ll probably want to be able to direct incoming calls through the speaker. Not all wireless shower speakers will do this, so if it’s important to you, make sure the speakers you’re considering have the ability to handle calls.
- Control – You have a choice between controlling the speakers either through direct input on the speaker itself or via remote control. Some speakers will provide you with the ability to use both. TO get your money’s worth, we recommend going for maximum flexibility. If control options aren’t important to you, that’s fine, too — maybe you’d rather not be bothered with remote control, or you may have no use for direct input. It’s up to you.
- Volume – You don’t want to be straining to hear your music over the noise of the shower, so your shower speaker should provide robust sound quality and volume. We recommend looking for speakers that can kick out at least 80 decibels. Even though you’re unlikely to use all of that power, speakers rated to 80+ decibels will sound better at lower volumes than those with less impressive top ends.
- Size and Weight – You don’t want something so heavy it’s going to fall off of your shower head (and risk breaking or smacking your toes) or get in the way of the water stream. Compact is the name of the game with shower speakers, and luckily many top-of-the-line options will fit comfortably in the palm of your hand. So think small and light, and you should be alright.
- Colors/Design – When it comes to the design and color of your shower speaker, you’ll want ones that speak not only to your tastes but are also compatible with the rest of the bathroom decor. Many people opt for a black/grey color combination since it blends with just about anything. White is also quite versatile and one of the most common bathroom colors.
- Price – Finally, we get down to overall cost. Generally speaking, you’ll get what you pay for when it comes to wireless shower speakers — to a point. There won’t be much of a difference between an $80 shower speaker and a $100 shower speaker. Typically, however, there will be a big difference in performance, features, and durability offered in a speaker that costs $10 and one that costs $80.
That said, you should be able to get a shower speaker with all of the best current features for around 50 bucks, maybe even less.
The Bottom Line
Today’s wireless shower speakers are one of those little things that help ramp up the quality of your daily life. They’re a luxury, to be sure, but with viable options at nearly every price point, it’s a luxury that’s readily affordable. And it can turn your typical shower routine into one that’s energizing, informative, relaxing, or productive.