The Gear Hungry Team writes about stuff we think you will like and if you are a fan of camping, we have no doubt that this post will be right up your alley. Now, camping experts would say that the market for camping gear has become quite saturated in our ever-increasing global economy. But we just think this gives us consumers more options than ever before, a notion that we can’t really complain about, right? Still, there are some classic camping brands that have stood the test of time and have created a positive reputation when it comes to the gear and accessories they deliver.
With a huge variety of equipment to choose from, camping can be as detailed or care-free as you like — or make it. We’ll leave how you camp up to you, but here are our favourite camping brands that do their due diligence in bringing out a range of gear that never seems to fail any outdoor adventurer.
6 Camping Brands You Need to Check Out – in no particular order:
Why do we like this brand? Coleman comes with history and has been creating “happy campers” since the early 1900s. Whether it’s camping tents, camping lanterns, sleeping bags, camping chairs, or any other camping accessories you are after, each product delivers a top-notch service and satisfaction. The thing we love and appreciate about this brand is that they keep working on their gear to not only improve the quality but also to improve the use that you get out of each and every item. Coleman keeps up to date with technology and they deliver products that make camping easy while still giving you that “roughing” it vibe.
Durability is also a huge priority and the Coleman brand is renowned for putting their products through vigorous testing. In fact, even their lanterns are put through a two-meter drop test to ensure their quality performance even in the harshest of camping and outdoor environments.
Unique brand features:
- Coleman creates highly practical equipment while keeping their designs aesthetically pleasing.
- The brand has a history of supporting and backing fresh perspective when it comes to engineering and manufacturing gear.
- The company sticks to competitive pricing while still delivering quality products that are worth their value for money.
Our top 3 Coleman camping items:
- Coleman 360 Sound and Light Lantern
- Coleman Vacuum Insulated Growler
- Coleman Sundome Tent
Why do we like this brand? Sometime prior to 1890, the Eureka brand emerged as a tent and awning company. It all began in a small workshop in New York where they soon flourished and became a worldwide household name. While their accessories grew to be appreciated, it’s their tents that made their popularity skyrocket and even today they continue to impress camping enthusiasts with their engineering and unique designs.
Today, the current line includes family and backpacking tents as well as a wide range of camping furniture. Eureka is also renowned for their military tents and have even featured in a few movies! They are constantly evolving their equipment to accommodate new technology but at the same time, they have managed to retain the authenticity of the brand – which we really appreciate!
Unique brand features:
- They have been famously used in movies like the Blair Witch project and were also the favoured brand of the Kennedys.
- Eureka is the inventor of the first free-standing, quick-to-erect tent; the Draw-Tite.
- Eureka camping gear has travelled to many exotic and far off places and are often trusted on expeditions as daunting as the Mount Everest climb!
Our top 3 Eureka camping items:
- Timberline Eureka Tent
- Eureka Compact Cot
- Eureka Jade Canyon 4 Tent
3. Kodiak Canvas
Why do we like this brand? While Kodiak Canvas is more of a new kid on the block, they are definitely not far behind on releasing innovative and quality camping gear. Established a mere 10 years ago, this brand has managed to impress camping enthusiasts globally. They have set a reputation for themselves for not cutting corners while using only top-of-the-line materials and components. What we really appreciate from these dudes is the professional customer service they offer both before and after a sale has gone through – in fact, many of their products include a limited lifetime warranty!
Kodiak is also the mastermind behind the invention of Hydra-shield canvases. This feature makes their tents unique by providing a breathability and air flow that most other tents don’t have. Designing camping gear that has been built to last, well, forever, Kodiak Canvas bring the following accessories to the table: large or solo tents, wearable sleeping bags, floor liners and tarps.
Unique brand features:
- Focused more on designing and manufacturing tents than a wide variety of gear, the brand spends a lot of time specialising and perfecting their main products, instead of popping out accessory after accessory.
- They are a young company that has brought some new concepts and original designs to the table.
- Kodiak Canvas strictly adheres to using high-quality materials only. This makes their tents a little more expensive but at least their durability can be ensured.
Our top 3 Kodiak Canvas camping items:
- Flex Bow Basic Canvas Tent
- Swag 1 Person Canvas Tent
- Z Top Sleeping Bag
4. Wenzel Tent and Gear Co.
Why do we like this brand? There’s a somewhat massive amount of tent manufacturers out there today, but when you decide to purchase a Wenzel camping tent, you can pretty much rest assured that you are making a good buy. Producing outdoor gear since 1887, this brand not only has a history of impressive camping products to back its claim, happy campers around the world are also talking about Wenzel’s meticulous attention to detail and their innovative accessories that compliment any camping experience.
Wenzel designs modern equipment that families or even your most daring hiking and camping enthusiasts require to escape, recharge and reconnect in the outdoors. Their goal is to make your camping adventure a pleasure from start to finish and even the most basic of their accessories aims to please!
Unique brand features:
- The brand’s tents are built from an impressive waterproof fabric called “Weather Armor”. This fabric is made from polyester and has a polyurethane coating to ultimately help it shed water.
- Wenzel’s tents also feature welded instead of sewn seams on the surface. This helps to prevent water from seeping through little holes that are often created by needles when the seams are sewn.
- Each one of the brand’s products is not only built for durability but they also aim to incorporate comfort and convenience each step of the way.
Our top 3 Wenzel camping items:
- Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Blow Up Tent
- Traveller Pack Backpack
- Sleep-away Air Bed Twin
Why do we like this brand? Kelty is a fun and spontaneous brand and these characteristics reflect in their products. Their camping gear has built a reputation for being top-of-the-line and includes equipment and accessories to suit any outdoor adventure – camping, hiking, skiing and canoeing – you name it! Established in 1952, the people behind the brand continue to remain young at heart and together the team aspires to make camping fun, convenient and a hobby that’s not taken lightly. Yup, their awesome range of camping gear makes you want to continue to head outdoors and sleep under the stars, enjoying nature at its best whilst still enjoying a luxurious home-like environment.
Despite the brand’s lightheartedness and their mission to make life more fun, when it comes to the quality of their gear then it’s time for serious business. Each and every one of Kelty’s items has been engineered to surpass quality standards while boasting appealing and convenient designs. What really get’s us excited about these guys is the cool novelty type gadgets that they keep adding to the market!
Unique brand features:
- We love that the brand has a wide selection of camping gear that focuses on kids (like kids sleeping bags). This is due to their belief that camping is the ultimate family experience and that each person should be catered for, no matter their age and size.
- Take some time to visit the Kelty website if you can. You might find yourself quite intrigued by the brand’s positive outlook and passion for their product – a passion that we find encouraging.
- Kelty doesn’t specialize in one product, instead, they offer a huge range of camping equipment and options, making them your one-stop go-to camping store.
Our top 3 Kelty camping items:
- Kelty Gunnison Solo Tent
- Journey Perfect Fit Elite Baby Carrier and Backpack
- Mesh Low-Love Chair
6. ALPS Mountaineering
Why do we like this brand? ALPS Mountaineering first made their debut into the world of camping in 1993 and their sole mission has been to create durable, high-performance products without the hefty price tag that consumers would expect to find on such pristine and perfected outdoor gear. We are happy to announce that they have completed their goal and to date they have pleased happy campers everywhere with their unique and quality products that don’t cost an arm and a leg.
This brand designs and manufactures a variety of outdoor apparel and their quality items are not limited to just camping gear and furniture. You’ll also be pretty happy to know that each and every product is backed with a lifetime guarantee! Another thing that we can really appreciate about ALPS Mountaineering is their dedication to producing awesome entry-level camping products for newbies who are not too sure if the camping bug will take. This way they can spend little money but still get sturdy and quality gear.
Unique brand features:
- ALPS Mountaineering manages to keep their gear and accessories rugged and durable while still paying attention to an aesthetically pleasing design.
- This brand tends to design very spacious and roomy tents. Even your basic two-man tent could potentially fit three grown adults, although there wouldn’t be much room for anything else then.
- Many of their tent designs come with large domed windows, this makes them perfect for stargazing or to enjoy a cool breeze on a sweltering hot summer’s day.
Our top 3 ALPS Mountaineering camping items:
- ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Solo Tent
- Lynx 2 two-pole construction tent
- Stealth Hunter Deluxe Camping Chair
How We Chose Our Brands
While taking an “eenie meenie miney mo” approach might have saved a good amount of time, we opted for a more thorough and authentic strategy while compiling our list of favoured camping brands. We did so by doing detailed research into which brands offer affordable quality products while withholding a good reputation. The three factors that helped us with each and every decision are: quality, consumer reviews and price.
Quality: When it comes to camping you are searching for a “home away from home” type vibe and you need your gear to keep you both safe and comfortable. This is where quality equipment steps in. The last thing you want is for your trusted tent to collapse in on you, or for your cooking equipment to come with a fault. So, when we selected our top camping brands, we paid detailed attention to the quality of their products and took durability, workmanship and accompanying warranties and guarantees into consideration.
Reviews: What better way to get an opinion on something than going straight to the horse’s mouth? Yup, the consumers have spoken and we have listened. We scoured the net to find customer reviews on each of the brands as well as their products. We then weighed the good with the bad and arrived at our “yay and nay” conclusions.
Price: If only the price didn’t have to be considered, right? But, according to our wallets, budgets always need to be a deciding factor for any purchase. This does not mean that one has to skimp on quality, however. We built a list of camping brands that offer quality products at affordable costs to ensure that you get your money’s worth, and more!