Super-Easy Air Fryer Recipes
There’s some very fancy kitchen equipment around these days. For most it’s all about creating food that tastes better but for one or two it’s about making the food we like to eat healthier too and one of the best small appliances to come onto the market lately is the air fryer. Here’s why along with a few simple and healthy air fryer recipes to try.
Why Is An Air Fryer Such A Good Idea?
The driving force behind the development of air fryer technology was to reduce the amount of oil needed for frying and it is usual to need less than a couple of teaspoons. Because air fryers use circulating hot air, it turned out to be an efficient, practical and healthy way of cooking using other methods too. A quality brand air fryer is capable of cooking pretty much anything. They fry, of course, but also grill, bake, and roast. The best air fryers can easily cope with cooking multiple dishes simultaneously and once mastered, an air fryer can cook a complete meal in just a few minutes.
Traditional deep fryers are expensive to fill, greasy, bulky and heavy. Air fryers don’t take up anywhere near as much countertop space. They are cheaper and safer all round and easier to keep clean. Being made of durable plastics the outside of the appliance does not get so hot it’s dangerous to touch. Instead, they get very hot inside so they should still be kept well out of reach of children.
Here are some other interesting air fryer health benefits.
Using an air fryer cuts fat from your diet. A good portion of crispy French fries holds substantially less fat without affecting the browning or moisture content. Using an air fryer regularly will lower your risk of developing long term conditions.
Air frying can help you lose weight. There’s clear evidence that high-fat cooking methods contribute to obesity and triggers other health problems including diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Deep-fried food contains a lot of empty calories and quickly contributes to weight gain. Simply switching to air-frying will help trim your waistline and keep you healthier.
Air frying helps limit the formation of harmful compounds such as acrylamide. These compounds are formed when carb-rich foods are prepared using high-heat cooking methods and are considered a ‘probable’ carcinogen, increasing your risk of cancer. Switching to air-frying lowers the risk.
Overall, air-fried foods are healthier than deep-fried foods mainly because they are lower in fat but also because food is cooked fast and retains more of its nutrition. It keeps a lot more of the food’s real taste too and has opened up a whole range of fast, healthy recipes so here’s a few of the more simple you might like to follow.
1. Air Fryer Mini Calzones
These cute calzones are just perfect for as a lunch box meal, and very easy to prepare and cook and you can substitute your favorite filling.
- All-purpose flour
- A pound mix of pizza dough ready prepared
- one egg yolk
- 2oz of pizza sauce
- 6oz of part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2oz of mild cheddar
- one chopped onion
- 6oz of thin-sliced pepperoni cut into quarters
- Start by rolling out the pizza dough onto a lightly floured surface until around ¼ inch thick then cut into the calzone bases using a 6inch cookie cutter or floured glass. Transfer to a lightly floured baking tray and leave to settle for a few minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk and put it to one side.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the other ingredients making sure they are evenly distributed throughout the filling.
- Share the mix between the bases, placing each spoonful slightly off-center then brush around the edges with the beaten egg yolk.
- Fold the base over the filling and crimp the edges to create a secure seal. Avoid overstuffing the calzone. If the dough needs stretching, take out some filling. Allow the prepared calzones to rest as you prepare the air-fryer by heating it up to 375F.
- Air fry in batches of 4 until each calzone is crisp and golden brown. It usually takes about 8 minutes.
- Serve with hot sauce or a cool sour cream dip.
2. Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chips
You will fall in love with the sweet and savory taste of these chips and the good news is, they are healthy.
- An 8oz sweet potato
- A tbsp of canola oil
- A tsp of kosher or sea salt
- ¾ tsp of dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tsp of paprika (or cayenne or sweet chili if you prefer)
- Spray cooking oil
- Slice the sweet potato using a 1/8-inch mandoline and put the slices into a bowl of cool water to soak at room temperature for 20 minutes to remove excess starch.
- Drain and pat dry and add to a large bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Lightly coat the inside of the air dryer with the cooking spray.
- Cook the sweet potato fries in single layer batches using the rotisserie basket for about 20 minutes or until the fries turn golden brown.
3. Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Many people recommend air fryer mozzarella sticks as a healthy and satisfying tasty snack.
- 6 mozzarella sticks cut in half to make 12 and frozen
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of dry breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- Whisk the egg into the mayonnaise in a large bowl. Add the flour, onion, breadcrumbs, and garlic powder and mix in well.
- Dip each frozen cheese stick into the batter and place it onto a baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370F the air fry for the sticks in batches of six for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the marinara offered as a dip.
4. Spicy Fried Chicken Goujons
- 1 large skinned chicken breast
- 4 spoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon of hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Slice the chicken breast into 1.2 inch wide strips
- Add to the beaten egg so that each strip is covered
- Mix the dry ingredients evenly in a large bowl.
- Add the strips to the flour mix in small handfuls and separate each strip out to make sure each one is evenly coated.
- Chill the goujons in the fridge for about 5 minutes and heat the air fryer to 350F.
- Heat two spoons of sunflower oil and cook in batches until brown gentling lower each strip into the oil. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Serve the spicy goujons warm in a tortilla wrap with a fresh green salad and sour cream sauce or sweet chili ketchup.
There are thousands of air frying recipes around and once you know your machine you can find traditional recipes you like and adapt them. Air frying doesn’t take long to master and as you are discovering a new way to enjoy good food you will be dropping fats and getting healthier.