5 Reasons You Should Carry a Tactical Flashlight
In our parents day the flashlight was a big, cheap, plastic tube filled with 3 (or more) ginormous D batteries. You turned it on and it provided a nice bright beam of light, sort of. Because the “beam” always seemed to be more of a halo with nothing in the middle then an actual beam of light and the switch only seemed to work when it felt like it and you always had to give the military flashlight a good smack in order to get the bulb to seat properly and, well, you get the picture. In spite of the fact that the flashlight of yore was a heavy, cumbersome, semi-effective tool it somehow managed to stick around for decades largely unchanged. Today however, we have an array of high-powered, conveniently sized, multi-tasking tactical flashlights to choose from so we can finally kick Uncle D-Cell out of the house once and for all.
They Don’t Make ‘em Like They Used to; Thankfully
Today’s tactical flashlights have little in common with their overweight, ineffective ancestors and below we’re going to provide 5 reasons why you should always carry one (in your backpack!) as part of your everyday kit.
- For Self-Defense – The world today is a more crowded and, unfortunately, dangerous place than it’s ever been and it’s the foolish person indeed who ignores this fact or tries to simply wish it away. There are a variety of ways people have responded to this increased level of daily danger: some carry firearms, some take self-defense courses, the rich hire bodyguards. Most of us however don’t have time for self-defense courses, can’t afford bodyguards and don’t like the idea of carrying a loaded handgun everywhere. We’d like something we can easily carry with us that will effectively repel an ill-intentioned weasel. Enter the tactical flashlight. With a beam that’s migraine-inducing bright and bezel edges that will inflict serious pain if slammed against the head it’s all you need to keep the creep off you long enough to effect an escape.
- For Emergencies – Yes being attacked is an emergency but there are other kinds as well. If your car breaks down or you’re involved in an accident on a darkened road at night your tactical flashlight will send out a powerful beam of light to attract help. Many have built in emergency flashers as well. In the event of a natural disaster like a tornado, hurricane, blizzard or flood you often need a strong light to find your way. Likewise, if you witness an accident you might need to bring strong, clear light to bear on the situation in order to ascertain someone’s condition or help them escape the wreckage.
- To Find Your Way in the Woods – If you’ve ever been camping in the woods you know how dark it can get at night. Sometimes we go off to take photos or collect firewood and lose track of time. Next thing you know it’s pitch black out and you have to find your way back to the campsite. Old fashioned flashlights were better than nothing in such situations, but not much. Your tactical flashlight on the other hand will cut through the dark like a hot pocket knife through butter. You can also engage the emergency strobe so anyone out looking for you will be able to spot you from a great distance and guide you back home.
- To Scare Off Dogs – Yes they’re man’s best friend but some are trained to be a stranger’s worst enemy and it often seems you encounter that type late at night when you’re all alone. If you find yourself set upon by someone’s guard dog who managed to jump the fence you can neutralize them pretty effectively by training your tactical flashlight in their eyes. It won’t do any lasting damage but it will disorient them long enough for you to get away.
- To Help You Get Safely to Your Car – Even if you work for a company with its own parking lot that walk from the building to the car at night can be unnerving. Instead of hurrying across the lot hoping no one is watching turn your tactical flashlight on the minute you get outside and shine it about to let any weasels who may be watching know that you’re not there to be trifled with. Keep it on all the way to the car and shine it around one more time before taking out your keys and getting in.
The tactical flashlight is more than just a flashlight. It’s a first class survival (look after it!) and self-defense tool that will help you navigate the world safer and more effectively. It’s essential equipment for emergency workers, rescue personnel, police, soldiers and the guy and gal in the street. Make sure you don’t leave home without one and ensure you use it properly.